Neighbors Bang on Door, Wake Couple in House Fire - NBC 7 San Diego

Neighbors Bang on Door, Wake Couple in House Fire

Homeowners slept through the fire on Pannonia Road in Carlsbad



    NBC 7's Matt Rascon reports from Pannonia Road in Carlsbad where neighbors say they had to bang on the door to awaken a couple to the garage fire threatening their home. (Published Wednesday, July 9, 2014)

    A Carlsbad couple and their dog were awakened by neighbors when an explosive fire sparked in their garage Wednesday.

    A BMW and a Mazda were burnt to a crisp when fire tore through the garage at the home on Pannonia Road around 1:30 a.m.

    Neighbors heard the fire alarm, jumped out of bed, called 911 and began banging on the homeowners’ front door to wake them up.

    Neighbor Wanye Cowie said the couple slept through the fire.

    “As they were coming out, things were exploding in the garage. It was pretty dramatic,” Cowie said. “The door melted and the flames started rolling out over the roof.”

    “Kind of unreal to hear that smoke alarm and not knowing what it was or where it was coming from and all of sudden see the flames just burst out of the garage door,” he said.

    No one was injured.

    Fire crews were able to contain fire to garage thanks in part to closed doors and firewalls are built into garage so it wouldn't spread to other parts of the house.

    The doggie door that connects the garage to the home brought some of the smoke inside the house and caused some damage, officials said.

    Hours later, fire investigators were sifting through the rubble and charred remains of what's left in the garage to determine a cause.

    Firefighters said there were propane tanks and ammunition inside garage that caused the small explosions.