Incense Caused Fire in Grant Hill Piñata Store - NBC 7 San Diego

Incense Caused Fire in Grant Hill Piñata Store

Travel agency and barber shop affected by structure fire



    Incense Caused Fire in Grant Hill Piñata Store

    A piñata store in Grant Hill ignited in flames Thursday morning after a woman lit incense inside the store.

    The piñata and paper-goods store on Imperial Ave. and 30th St. caught fire at about 10 a.m., fire crews said. They originally believed a candle caused the fire.

    A barber shop and a travel agency nearby were damaged by the flames, but fire crews were able to knock down the fire quickly, before it spread to the businesses.

    The employee at the piñata shop said she lit the incense and a flame got into a piñata. The fire spread to other piñatas, and then to the rest of the store. The employee was not seriously injured in the fire, however, she reported that her hair was singed in the flames.

    A woman and her 9-year-old son lived above the piñata shop were able to evacuate in time.

    Two families in the apartments near the piñata shop were displaced, but no one was injured.

    The fire caused $135,000 in damage to the structure and $35,000 to the contents inside the store.