Bomb Threat Phoned Into Naval Base San Diego - NBC 7 San Diego

Covering those who serve and live in our city

Bomb Threat Phoned Into Naval Base San Diego

This is the second threat to the base in two days

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Bomb Threat Phoned Into Naval Base San Diego
    NBC 7

    Emergency crews surrounded Naval Base San Diego Thursday after a bomb threat was phoned in specifically naming one of the buildings on base.

    Brian O’Rourke, spokesperson for Navy Region Southwest, said the phone call threatened building 36.

    At around 9:15 a.m., Naval Base San Diego posted a message to its Facebook page saying the area had been secured and emergency personnel were on the scene. The base was operating as normal. Crews had set up a perimeter around the base, and personnel were advised to remain clear of the perimeter located west of Kalbfus Street between Pier 3 and Pier 5.

     

    ***ATTENTION****There was a report of a bomb threat onboard Naval Base San Diego. The area has been secured, emergency...

    Posted by Naval Base San Diego on Thursday, February 18, 2016

    O’Rourke said the base was not on lockdown. However, people coming onto the base might experience some backup at the gates as security guards screen those who are entering. Anyone heading to building 36 will be redirected for now as the investigation continues.

    Everything else was business as usual, he added.

    By 11:35 a.m., O'Rourke confirmed officials had finished sweeping building 36 and the surrounding areas on base and nothing suspicious was found. Crews were clearing.

    This is the second threat at Naval Base San Diego in two days. On Wednesday, a threatening, hand-written note sparked an investigation and the evacuation of the pier at 32nd Street and Harbor Drive. In that case, the pier and surrounding areas were swept by officials and nothing suspicious was discovered. Eventually, the area was cleared.