2 Displaced After Christmas Display Catches Fire in Apartment - NBC 7 San Diego

2 Displaced After Christmas Display Catches Fire in Apartment

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    2 Displaced After Christmas Display Catches Fire

    NBC 7's Erika Cervantes reports from outside the apartment. (Published Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018)

    An overheated extension cord used for a Christmas display caught fire and damaged a University Heights apartment Thursday.

    San Diego Fire-Rescue Department firefighters were called to the two-story building on Maryland Street at around 9:45 p.m.

    Firefighters said smoke from the fire caused damage to the unit.

    San Diego Gas & Electric crews were dispatched to the apartment to see if there were any electrical issues within the walls of the unit.

    No one was injured.

    Two people living in the apartment had to find another place to stay Thursday night, firefighters said.

    A battalion chief told NBC 7 a power strip is a safer option when lighting Christmas decorations.

    Get the latest from NBC 7 San Diego anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android