Anthony’s Fish Grotto, a fixture of San Diego’s waterfront, will be moving at the end of next year to make way for a new redevelopment project.
The Board of Port Commissioners voted on Tuesday afternoon to allow a new mixed use development project to occupy the site where Anthony's Fish Grotto currently stands.
Last week, Port officials submitted a recommendation to choose the Brigantine, Inc. as the company to redevelop the Bayfront real estate. The board voted 4-2 on Tuesday afternoon to approve Brigantine as the new lessee at the location.
The restaurant at 1360 North Harbor Drive is now run by Anthony’s Fish Grotto of La Mesa, but the business’s 52-year lease expired Jan. 31, 2017.
In May, the Port’s board asked for bids from companies interested in revitalizing the iconic site that sits right on the water.
Six responses were received, and they were soon narrowed down to three contenders: The Brigantine, Sunroad Enterprises and Fish Market Restaurants (a joint venture with Anthony’s).
The Brigantine provided the highest proposed rent to the district. Port officials say the Brigantine’s proposal projects $1.6 million more in revenue value over the first 10 years than the second highest proposal.
Brigantine’s plan entails a mixed use space that would include a seafood restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, a brew pub and a gelato and coffee shop.
Anthony’s owner, Craig Ghio, said he grateful for the patrons who have been loyal to his restaurant over the years. He’s confident that his restaurant will find a new home.
“There are a lot of different landlords and locations around the city that would love to have a restaurant like Anthony’s,” Ghio said.
Brigantine will sign a new 40-year lease and must pay $1.1 million a year in rent.