A fire broke out in a Clairemont duplex Monday morning; the second in two days in the same area.
Two adults were home when the fire started when a smoke alarm alerted them to get out, the fire department said. Five cats and three dogs were also inside the duplex. One cat was resuscitated and one other did not make it. The rest of the animals were unharmed.
San Diego Fire-Rescue responded to the fire at 4888 Clairemont Drive just before noon. They said smoke and fire could be seen when they arrived. They were able to put out the flames, which were contained to a bedroom only.
Investigators suspect a space heater or similar electrical issue sparked the fire, which is estimated to have caused $75,000 in damages to the property and another $25,000 in contents, according to Fire-Rescue.