Sleigh bells by the sea, anyone? A festive tradition returns to the streets of La Jolla this weekend, filled with bright lights and holiday cheer.
The 59th Annual La Jolla Christmas Parade & Holiday Festival takes place Sunday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. along Girard Avenue and Prospect Street. The parade starts at 2 p.m. and ends around 4:30 p.m. at the La Jolla Recreation Center at 615 Prospect St.
There, the Holiday Festival awaits revelers with the 4:30 p.m. lighting of the Community Christmas Tree on the lawn, live music and dance performances, a Kids’ Zone and lots of fun activities. This year’s theme is “Christmas in the Future.” The festival schedule, seen in full here, includes an hour for photos with Santa Claus, from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., too.
• Both sides of Ivanhoe Avenue, between Ivanhoe Avenue East and Torrey Pines Road
• Both sides of Girard Avenue, between Torrey Pines Road and Kline Street.
• Both sides of Kline Street, between Ivanhoe and Fay avenues.
• Both sides of Herschel Avenue, between Torrey Pines Road and Silverado Street.
• Both sides of Torrey Pines Road, between Herschel Avenue and Virginia Way.
• Both sides of Girard Avenue, between Kline and Prospect streets.
• Both sides of Prospect Street, between Girard Avenue and La Jolla Boulevard.
• Both sides of Draper Avenue, between Silverado and Kline streets.
The parade will include grand marshals and local dignitaries, including San Diego Police Department Chief Shelley Zimmerman and San Diego City Council President Sherri Lightner.