2 Burned in Small Bathroom Explosion

Two men sustained burns after a small explosion and fire broke out inside a bathroom at a Spring Valley apartment complex Wednesday night.

The incident happened at a two-story apartment complex in the 9000 block of Campo Road just before 10 p.m.

According to fire officials, firefighters responded to reports of a blaze inside an apartment unit. By the time crews arrived, the small fire had already been extinguished.

Officials say it appears someone was filling a butane lighter inside a bathroom when the person spilled lighter fluid, which then ignited and caused a small explosion.

Two men suffered burns and were transported to UCSD Medical Center, officials said.

The incident is under investigation. The Sheriff’s Bomb and Arson unit also responded to the scene to help in the investigation.

Contact Us