Firefighters rescued a woman who caught fire in her Bay Terraces kitchen Sunday and her husband who tried to help her, the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department confirmed.
Crews responded to what was initially called in as a stove fire on the 7000 block of Careybrook Lane at about 3 p.m. When firefighters arrived, two burn victims were found near the kitchen, SDFD Battalion Chief Brian Raines said.
Officials said when they got in the home they found gasoline inside the kitchen. It appears the woman may have intentionally lit herself on fire, said Lt. Mike Ramsay from the San Diego Police Department.
The husband, after seeing her on fire, rushed in trying to put her out with whatever he could find.
“Eventually there was water used from a bathroom but due to whatever was used, part of the flash, part of the fire, his clothing caught on fire,” Ramsay said.
A third person, a teen, who lives at the house tried to put out both of the victims.
The couple was rushed to UC San Diego Medical Center's Burn Center in critical condition. There is no information on the extent of their injuries.
No one else in the home was injured.
The Metro Arson Strike Team (MAST) was called on scene to investigate.
Police also requested a crisis intervention team to offer assistance, like counseling and a place to stay for the teenager and other family members.
If you or anyone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, you can call the local 24/7 crisis hotline at (888) 724 7240, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-TALK(8255) or text “Home” to 741741.
No other information was available.
Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.