San Diego Comic-Con International announced in May that its wildly popular expo set for July was canceled. San Diego Pride, also set to take place in July, canceled all in-person gatherings for this year, too, with plans to take its celebration to the digital realm.
- San Diego Seals lacrosse season temporarily suspended over coronavirus outbreak.
- San Diego Loyal S.C. had already postponed its home match scheduled for March 14 until July 29 but now the United Soccer League has suspended play for a month.
- There will be no baseball, softball, lacrosse, men's volleyball, golf, rowing, tennis, outdoor track and field or women's water polo national championships this year. Furthermore, San Diego State and the University of San Diego have both decided to cancel all spring sporting events.
HOUSES OF WORSHIP
Full coverage of the COVID-19 outbreak and how it impacts you
Per the state, as of May 25, "places of worship must limit attendance to 25 percent of building capacity or a maximum of 100 attendees, whichever is lower." For more information, consult the state's guidelines.
MCAS MIRAMAR AIR SHOW
The 2020 MCAS Miramar Air Show scheduled for late September is canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the base announced June 22. The air show is the largest military air show in the world and typically drawing over 500,000 spectators each year.
Live Nation is "hitting the pause button on current touring arena shows through the end of the month," the company announced in March. Live Nation is the major concert promoter in the region, booking events at all the large local venues.
Award show officials said Tuesday in a news release that the event, which will kick off at 7 p.m. PT, can be seen on SanDiegoMusicAwards.com, the SDMA Facebook page or the SDMA YouTube page, and will be free to the public.
WONDERFRONT MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL
"After close consultation with the Port of San Diego and to align with the recent State of California strict guidelines for the reopening of large concert events, we felt the only reasonable and responsible action to take at this time was to postpone the next Wonderfront Festival until 2021," festival organizers posted on their website. "Though this greatly saddens us, especially after having such an amazing first year in 2019, we look forward to bringing you an even better Wonderfront Festival in 2021, and prior to that we have some news coming shortly on some revised 2020 plans to still make sure we bring San Diego some fun times this coming fall."
Kaaboo San Diego
The annual three-day music/art/food festival known as Kaaboo -- a made-up word, BTW -- has taken a COVID curtain call for this year.
Tickets for Kaaboo 2020 went on sale last year -- for all the early birds out there looking for a refund, officials said on Monday that pass holders will be contacted by email "in the next few days" regarding a "special offer" for Kaaboo 2021, or they can have their purchase returned to them instead.
PUBLIC PERFORMANCE SPACES
- The Old Globe has temporarily suspended all public performance now.
- California Center for the Arts, Escondido is canceling or postponing all events.
- Poway Center for the Performing Arts: Closed until further notice.