8-Year-Old Girl Survives Pit Bull Attack - NBC 7 San Diego

8-Year-Old Girl Survives Pit Bull Attack



    Girl, 8, Recovering After Pit Bull Attack

    An 8-year-old girl was recovering from bites to her legs, arms and backside from two or three pit bulls that attacked her. Mekahlo Medina reports from Santa Monica for the NBC4 News at 6 on Monday, April, 21, 2014. (Published Monday, April 21, 2014)

    An 8-year-old girl bitten by two or three pit bulls while visiting a residence in Santa Monica was recovering at home Monday, while the dogs were under quarantine, police said.

    The dog attack occurred in the 1800 block of 21st Street about 8 p.m. Sunday, said Santa Monica police Sgt. Jay Moroso.

    The dogs are being quarantined, but police say they will be released to their owners.

    The little girl and her mother are angry nothing more is being done.

    L’kenjha Murp has bites on her legs, arms and backside and despite all the pain, she is in good spirits.

    But her mother, Danielle Mitchell, wants to know why the dogs that attacked her daughter will be released in 10 days.

    "I definitely think the dogs should be put down or either taken out of their care because nobody is really safe, because the dog just flipped out, even on the owner," Mitchell said.

    L’kenjha can’t move much as she lays on her family couch. She has nearly a dozen bites across the left side of her body, from her feet all the way to her shoulder.

    "It hurted (sic) because he has long teeth," the girl said.

    She was spending Easter Sunday with friends who live in a back house when she says the dogs rushed out of the front house and attacked.

    "It was very, very hard just seeing your child suffering, screaming," Mitchell said. "Her shoulder just ripped almost off, bleeding from everywhere."

    One of the dog’s owners was also bitten by her own dog has she tried to pull it off L’kenjha, police said.

    That dog and the two others were being cared for at the house. All three were pit bulls and taken into quarantine, being checked for rabies. They’ll likely be released in 10 days because there is no record of the dogs attacking before.

    L’kenjha’s mother says she learned the dogs did attack before but it was not reported.