It's been almost a year since We Were Promised Jetpacks played the Irenic, but to be honest, they've always seemed more at home at the Casbah, where the crowd can be loose and a little bit rowdy. They're celebrating the 10-year anniversary of "These Four Walls" and recently announced that this will be their last tour with guitarist Michael Palmer. Whether the departure is due to a past battle with cancer is unclear, but if you've ever seen this band, this is your last chance to see them in this iteration. The show is very close to selling out, so do buy your tickets online or they may be gone. Meanwhile, to correct an error, last week I suggested the Motown on Mondays one year anniversary at the Office, but it's actually tonight and will have a live tribute to Curtis Mayfield featuring members of B-Side Players and more local talents. Ringo Deathstarr play Whistle Stop, Vancouver's Kim Gray plays Soda Bar and our pals in Braggers join Tennis System and Language of Flowers at Blonde.
Monday, July 22:
- We Were Promised Jetpacks ‘These Four Walls’ 10th Anniversary, Catholic Action @ Casbah
- Motown on Mondays First Anniversary:Curtis Mayfield Tribute @ The Office
- Kim Gray, Sweet Tooth @ Soda Bar
- Ringo Deathstarr, Blushing, DJ Jon Blaj @ Whistle Stop
- Funky Thigh Collectors, Hurricane Kate @ Bar Pink
- Ilegal Mezcal & Blue Monday: Dark '80s Night presents Tennis System, Braggers, Language of Flowers, DJs Aaron Wallace & Camilla Rabina @ Blonde
- 2019 San Diego International Organ Festival presents Peter Richard Conte with Andrew Ennis @ Spreckels Organ Pavilion (free, open to the public, 7:30 p.m.)
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Januarry Berry Band @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Fiore Giorgianni @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Luke Monday in "Callback Queen" @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Line Dancing Lessons @ Moonshine Beach
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Rosie's Jazz Jam with Louis V @ Rosie O'Grady's
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.