Vacationing Family's Home Burns

A Chula Vista family, on vacation in Mexico, lost their 4,000 sq ft home and everything inside in a fire that could be seen from miles away Sunday night.

When crews arrived to Songbird Lane in Chula Vista just after 8 p.m., a two-story home was engulfed in flames. 

"It's kind of a secluded home back here and the first unit on the scene said they could see flames as far away as Otay Lakes Road," said Jim Garcia with the Chula Vista fire department.

Unfortunately, there was nothing firefighters could do but let the home burn.

The owners had just left for a vacation to Guadalajara, Mexico before the fire started, according to neighbors.

Firefighters rescued the owner's dog, Lucy, who was not injured in the fire. The dog was given to the owner's relatives.

"Somebody called me and said, there's a fire on your mom's street. I came to see if it was my mom's house," said Myra Contreras. "I didn't think it was my mom's house."

“No one was home," said Contreras. "The house can be replaced.”

There were sparks that flew to a nearby condo complex and firefighters went there to make sure the fire didn't spread.

The walls of the home buckled so firefighters stayed outside while pouring water on the fire.

Investigators arrived on scene last night and were planning on talking to people staying in the relative’s residence on the property to get more information on what may have caused the fire.

Contact Us