Maybe it's always been this way, but I've noticed lately a massive uptick in artists playing under a "band" name, even if they're the sole creator. Guys have done this forever, but I'm wondering if women feel it gives them more cred than being dumped in a singer/songwriter catchall. Snail Mail, Soccer Mommy and Japanese Breakfast are all more or less solo projects, and tonight's Casbah artist, Steady Holiday, is another excellent musician to add to this grouping. The Barsuk Records artist dropped her sophomore album, "Nobody's Watching," in August, and her only mistake is that we are definitely watching. Around town, the '80s influenced Chula Vista band Battery Point play Soda Bar, and the Braggers drop a new EP at Blonde.
Monday, Nov. 19:
- Steady Holiday, Tomemitsu @ Casbah
- Battery Point, Kan-Kan, Dnll, Cold Juice @ Soda Bar
- DJ Shuffledust @ Bar Pink
- Blue Monday presents the Braggers, Doc Hammer, Demasiado @ Blonde
- The Painted Bird @ David & Dorothea Garfield Theatre, San Diego Center for Jewish Culture
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Hellzapoppin Circus Sideshow, Tzimani @ Brick by Brick
- Jon Fuller @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Andy & Nathan @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Whitney Shay @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Electric Relaxation @ Whistle Stop
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Acoustic Night/Industry Night @ Henry's Pub
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.