It's Independence Day, so many of your favorite nightspots are closed tonight, but there is still some live music to be had if you want to skip the fireworks. At the Belly Up, Moe. play the first of two nights. The jam band is known for their energetic and long, dedicated sets, but if you're planning on going to the show, keep in mind that it is the final day of the San Diego County Fair and their fireworks show is one of the biggest of the night, so plan your transportation accordingly. The Thursday night show is already sold out, so don't miss your chance to see them. Meanwhile, somewhere in the Kensington and Talmadge area, "The Porch" hosts an all-afternoon grouping of music that is totally free if you bring meat for grilling or other shareables. Big Bay Boom will have all of downtown bottlenecked, but Clint Black will be at Summer Pops at the Embarcadero -- and if you want to just stay in the city avoiding all of the hullabaloo, Til-Two hosts a night of dark and black metal with Volahn at the helm.
Wednesday, July 4:
- Moe. @ Belly Up
- SOLV, Trip Advisor, Calm Down, Double Fantasy, Mt. Pleasant @ The Porch (Google it. Free entry with meat. 3-9:30 p.m.)
- Lafayette Red, White & Brew Pool ft. Chug Boat @ Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows
- Summer Pops: Clint Black @ Embarcadero Marina Park South
- Volahn, Mortuary Drape, Fallen Angel, Crematory Stench, Invocation War @ Til Two Club
- DJ Beatnick @ Hotel Solamar
- DJ Swamp, Alpha K @ Kava Lounge
- Dance Klassique with Joe Pea, Ryan Bauer, Gomez @ Blonde
- Open Mic Night @ Pour House
- Open Mic @ Midnight Jack
- Open Mic with Jefferson Jay @ Winston's (6-9 p.m.)
- Live Music @ Henry's Pub
- Fourth of July Summer Party @ 710 Beach Club
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.