A few weeks ago, a friend and I took a road trip to Vegas. While driving through the desert, we listened to Phoebe Bridgers' latest record, "Stranger in the Alps." It's a beautiful listen, and her storytelling is so specific that by the time track three, Funeral, came on, I was crying my eyes out. It is quite possibly the saddest song I've ever heard, and I can only hope that her audience will be respectful and quiet when she plays tonight at Soda Bar. Around town, Howard Jones plays a sold-out show at Belly Up and Western Scene -- featuring our old friend Tom Pritchard of Dynamite Walls -- plays at the Casbah.
Monday, Feb. 5:
- Phoebe Bridgers, Soccer Mommy @ Soda Bar
- Howard Jones, Rachael Sage @ Belly Up (SOLD OUT)
- Western Scene, State to State, the Anomaly @ Casbah
- Bermuda Triangle (featuring Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes), Bells Atlas @ Music Box
- Unsung Genius: Trivia & Karaoke @ The Merrow
- Motown on Monday @ Bar Pink
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Blue Monday @ Blonde
- Johnny Martin Music @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Andy Anderson & Nathan Fry @ Martini's Above Fourth
- January Berry Band @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Acoustic Night/Industry Night @ Henry's Pub
- All That! A Mostly '90s Thang @ U-31
- Military & Industry Night @ 710 Beach Club
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.