It is astonishing to retrace a band's rise. In April of 2016, Cigarettes After Sex played Space to about a hundred people, and by fall of 2017, that number quadrupled with a sold-out show at the Irenic, and tonight, they play a sold-out show at the Observatory. Let's be honest, that first EP was awesome and their record is great, but it's the strength of their track "Apocalypse" that has made them such a sought-after entity. I hope their ambient shoegazey style translates to a bigger room and they don't hide behind dark lighting so we can all feel like a part of their world. If you didn't grab a ticket to the sold-out show, motorcycle helmet-wearing one-man band Bob Log III returns to the Casbah with a $5 show, Jenny Don't play Soda Bar and hip-hop legends Eric B & Rakim perform at House of Blues.
Monday, April 30:
- Cigarettes After Sex @ Observatory North Park (SOLD OUT)
- Bob Log III, the Downs Family, Toothless George @ Casbah ($5)
- Eric B. & Rakim, Yo-Yo @ House of Blues
- Jenny Don't & the Spurs, Trevor McSpadden @ Soda Bar
- Unsung Genius: Trivia & Karaoke @ The Merrow
- Soultry Monday with Tori Roze & the Hot Mess @ Bar Pink
- Saba, Joseph Chilliams, Jean Deaux @ Voodoo Room, House of Blues
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Blue Mondays Tattoo Industry Party presented by Ilegal Mezcal @ Blonde
- Sam Bybee @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Andy Anderson & Nathan Fry @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic Open Mic @ Navajo Live
- '80s with Junior theDISCOpunk @ The Brass Rail
- Mercedes Moore @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Acoustic Night/Industry Night @ Henry's Pub
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
- Military and Industry Mondays @ 710 Beach Club
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.