When he's not striking poses on the Victoria's Secret runway or slinging mobile phones or any of his other numerous product endorsements, first and foremost, Shawn Mendes is a pop icon, outperforming mentor Justin Timberlake. Tonight, the superstar performs at Pechanga Arena with Alessia Cara opening, and it is certain to sport all the bells and whistles of an arena performance to hordes of screaming ladies and the brave men who dare accompany them. However, in the circles I run in, one of the most anticipated indie shows of the summer is Amyl & the Sniffers, who appear at Soda Bar tonight. They're making their way from Melbourne, and the land of Oz has certainly been generous in their outpouring of accomplished and talented musicians of late. Bar Pink has a Monday regular with the stunning Julia Sage, Billy Watson rocks Humphreys Backstage and Winston's never lets us down with the steadiest of residencies with Electric Waste Band.
Monday, July 8:
- Shawn Mendes, Alessia Cara @ Pechanga Arena
- Amyl & the Sniffers, Moss, Razor Nights @ Soda Bar
- Julia Sage, Wes Hawkins @ Bar Pink
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Billy Watson @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Blue Monday: Dark '80s Night with the Cramps Live Tribute, Teenage Goo Goo Muck, DJs Camila Robina & Aaron Wallace @ Blonde
- Usnea, Chrch, Garth Algar, Abyssal @ Space
- Gimme Danger Night @ San Diego Content Partners
- Tim Norton @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Brian Justin Crum (San Diego Pride Kickoff) @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Electric Relaxtion @ Whistle Stop
- Salsa & Bachata @ Tio Leo's
- Rosie's Jazz Jam with Louis V @ Rosie O'Grady's
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Game Night @ Henry's Pub
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.