There aren't many options for live music this first Monday of 2019, but I wouldn't take it as any kind of sign or omen, because surely 2019 is going to rock. If you are looking to head out tonight, however, I would say look no further than Man Man at the Casbah. The band plays thoughtful indie rock, but they definitely don't take themselves too seriously -- they usually have some kind of cool, coordinated band getups and a heavy dose of weirdness thrown in for good measure. It should also be noted that former San Diegan Cyrus Ghahremani plays in the touring band, so you just might rub elbows with his mom and author, Zohreh Ghahremani, or his sister, illustrator and artist Susie Ghahremani. Around town, Sue Palmer returns to Humphreys Backstage, Winston's has Electric Waste Band and Louis V leads a jazz jam at Rosie O Grady's.
Monday, Jan. 7:
- Man Man, Jon Daly @ Casbah
- Cassandra’s Birthday with DJ Heather Hardcore @ Bar Pink
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Rosie's Jazz Jam with Louis V @ Rosie O Grady's
- Sue Palmer @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Blue Monday: Dark '80s New Wave @ Blonde
- Altars of Madness Mondays @ Space
- John Lowery @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Andy and Nathan @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Acoustic Night/Industry Night @ Henry's Pub
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.