If you're itching to get out this Monday night, Soda Bar is your spot. Winnetka Bowling League are from LA, and they're certainly getting their share of buzz, particularly for their EP "On the 5." With comparisons to MGMT and their sunny made-for-California sound, I'd suspect this is gonna be a good one, and their sweet tunes might even inspire you to order something colorful and fruity from the bar to match the vibe. Of course, that's if you don't already have tickets to the Casbah for Connan Mockasin. I can't think of a more anticipated show in recent memory, where my personal email is bombarded with people searching for tickets. The New Zealander is a true weirdo, with an essence that evokes Of Montreal's Kevin Barnes and a spacy distorted sound like Tame Impala times a thousand. If neither of those work for you, it's the Cure night at Blonde, local punk/metal band Neurotic Mirage play Tower Bar, and Portland's Plastic Cactus bring "dark, desert-inspired surf" to Space.
Monday, June 3:
- Winnetka Bowling League, Feelers @ Soda Bar
- Connan Mockasin, Molly Lewis @ Casbah (sold out)
- Plastic Cactus, BluNites, Chutes @ Space
- The Cure Nite at Blue Monday @ Blonde
- Neurotic Mirage, Sideshow, Five by Five @ Tower Bar
- Husky Boys with DJ Buddha @ Bar Pink
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Rudy's Foodies @ Winston's (6 p.m.)
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Michele Lundeen @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Tim Norton @ De Oro Mine Co.
- University Centers presents Dogs @ The Loft, UCSD
- Andy & Nathan @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Sexy Salsa & Sensual Bachata @ Tio Leo's
- Rooftop Roots 003 with Jacky & Porky @ Spin (3 p.m.)
- Electric Relaxation Hip-Hop/Chill Beats and Board Games @ Whistle Stop
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.