If we're being honest, we certainly have times when Mondays can get a little stale around here. Today is not one of those Mondays. We have some seriously great shows from which to choose tonight. Japanese metal band Boris return to the Casbah in advance of their forthcoming record, which will be their first on Jack White's Third Man label. They always slay and are so fun to watch that it's definitely a contender, but Steve Earle is in town, too. Obviously, Earle plays a very different genre of music, but the legendary songwriter returns to the Belly Up, and you know shows like this don't come along too often. When Kevin Devine and Manchester Orchestra's Andy Hull got together to make Bad Books, we presumed it was a one-off project, but they're still around making amazing music and touring, and they return to the Irenic for an all ages show. Finally, Humphrey's has a sick show from SiriusXM's the Pulse channel, so you can't go wrong there, either. San Diego, your Monday does not have to suck.
Monday, Aug. 19:
- Boris, Uniform @ Casbah
- Steve Earle & the Dukes, the Mastersons @ Belly Up
- Bad Books, Brother Bird @ The Irenic
- SiriusXM the Pulse presents the Mighty O.A.R., American Authors, Rozzi @ Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay
- Dezorah, Bad Kids, Free Paintings @ Soda Bar
- Dave Gleason Band @ Bar Pink
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Tomb Mold @ Brick by Brick
- Blue Monday: Dark '80s Night @ Blonde
- Michele Lundeen @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Industry Night @ Himmelberg's
- Echo Pearl @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Julio De La Huerta @ Plaza Bar, Westgate Hotel
- Carol Curtis @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Electric Relaxation: '90s Hip-Hop/Chill Beats & Board Games @ Whistle Stop
- Mic'd Up at Moonshine @ Moonshine Flats
- Rosie's Jazz Jam with Louis V @ Rosie O'Grady's
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.