The tour, running from Oct. 29 to Nov. 17, gives audiences across the county a chance to see theater for a low cost. This year, the tour will feature five new venues as well.
"The Winter’s Tale is my very favorite Shakespeare play, and so it’s a special pleasure to see it tour our region as the 2019 production of our thrilling Globe for All series,” said Erna Finci Viterbi Artistic Director Barry Edelstein in a statement. “Full of feeling, music, magic, and wonder, the play is about the power of second chances in life, and I know that in Daniel Jáquez’s inventive and energetic production it will touch audiences deeply, even as it fills them with laughter and joy."
The cross-cultural production, directed by Daniel Jaquez, tells the story of King Leontes, who suspects his wife of infidelity with his best friend from youth.
The play will be staged at unique spaces across San Diego. Here's a full list of the free performances.
- Lemon Grove Academy/Lemon Grove Historical Society/San Diego County Library- Lemon Grove Branch Library (Roberto Alvarez Auditorium, 3171 School Ln., Lemon Grove, 91945) on Wednesday, October 30 at 5:45 p.m.
- San Diego Public Library – Central Library (Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common, Shiley Special Events Suite, 330 Park Blvd., San Diego, 92101) on Thursday, October 31 at 6:00 p.m.
- Fourth District Seniors Resource Center (The George L. Stevens Senior Center, 570 S. 65th St., San Diego, 92114) on Friday, November 1 at 1:30 p.m.
- San Diego Public Library – Otay Mesa-Nestor Branch Library (3003 Coronado Ave., San Diego, 92154) on Saturday, November 2 at 12:45 p.m.
- Oceanside Public Library (Civic Center Community Rooms, 330 North Coast Highway, Oceanside, 92054) on Sunday, November 3 at 12:45 p.m.
- San Diego Military Family Collaborative/Social Advocates for Youth (SAY) San Diego’s Serra Real Connections Healthy Start Program (Junipero Serra High School, 5156 Santo Rd., San Diego, 92124) on Wednesday, November 6, at 5:45 p.m.
- Chaldean Middle Eastern Social Services/San Diego County Library – El Cajon Branch Library (St. Michael Chaldean Catholic Church, 799 E. Washington Ave., El Cajon, 92020) on Friday, November 8 at 5:45 p.m.
- Casa Familiar/South Bay Community Services (San Ysidro Civic Center, 212 W. Park Ave., San Diego, 92173) on Saturday, November 9, at 12:45 p.m.
- Naval Base San Diego (Navy Region Southwest, Anchors Catering & Conference Center, Main at Yama St., 2375 Recreation Way, Building 3210, San Diego, 92136) on Wednesday, November 13 at 7:00 p.m. (Open to Navy personnel and family members.)
- Cal State San Marcos (Arts 111 Performance Hall, 333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd., San Marcos, 92096) on Thursday, November 14 at 5:45 p.m.
- District 9 Mountain View Community Center (641 S. Boundary St., San Diego, 92113) on Saturday, November 16 at 12:45 p.m.
- Dolores Magdaleno Memorial Recreation Center (2902 Marcy Ave., San Diego, 92113) on Saturday, November 16 at 6:00 p.m.