Trolley stations across San Diego are about to get a burst of culture: next month, short opera performances will go down at the tracks, taking the art form out of the theater and into public space.
The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) said the “Opera on the Track” program will consist of eight weekend performances at or near MTS Blue, Orange or Green line trolley stations from Sept. 3 to Oct. 9.
The free, 30-minute shows will feature the artists of San Diego Opera performing Rossini’s “Cinderella,” or “La Cenerentola,” at the trolley stops. The mini community events are meant to share the music of the opera while promoting the use of public transportation in San Diego.
Organizers hope the abbreviated shows will inspire people to visit the San Diego Civic Theatre in downtown San Diego during opera season to see San Diego Opera’s production of Cinderella on the main stage in October. The goal, MTS said, is to “introduce the ease of taking transit to opera lovers and the enjoyment of live opera to MTS riders.”
Here’s the schedule of upcoming Opera at the Track performances:
• Sept. 3 at 11 a.m., at Santee Trolley Square Amphitheatre (Santee Trolley Station, Green Line: 9884 Mission Gorge Rd.)
• Sept. 10 at 11 a.m., at Jacobs Center Amphitheatre (Euclid Avenue Station, Orange Line: 404 Euclid Ave.)
• Sept. 10 at 2 p.m., at Glashaus Art Studio (Barrio Logan Station, Blue Line: 1815 Main St, Ste. B)
• Sept. 17, at 10 a.m., at Mission Valley Library (Fenton Parkway Station, Green Line: 2123 Fenton Parkway)
• Sept. 17 at 12 p.m., at 24th Street Trolley Station (National City, Blue Line)
• Sept. 17 at 2 p.m., at E Street Trolley Station (Chula Vista, Blue Line)
• Oct. 8 at 1:30 p.m., at Children’s Museum Park (Convention Center Station, Green Line: 200 W. Island)
• Oct. 9 at 1 p.m., at Old Town Trolley Station (Old Town San Diego, Green Line)