Thanksgiving and Hanukkah will overlap this year becoming what some are calling "Thanksgiv-ukkah."
Elan Akin with D.Z. Akin's Restaurant appeared on Monday's NBC 7 News Today with Whitnwy Southwick to talk about some innovative ways to prepare a feast that combines the favorite dishes from both holidays.
Here's the recipe he offered:
Pumpkin Spice Sweet Potato Pancakes
Served with Marshmallow Topping and Cranberry Apple Sauce
Ingredients: Pumpkin Spice Sweet Potato Pancakes
¼ cup Sweet Potato
Matzo Meal (can Flour)
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Oil (recommend coconut or vegetable)
Ingredients: Cranberry Apple Sauce
1. Grate the sweet potato in a large mixing bowl. Drain excess liquid.
2. To the grated sweet potato, add the 2 eggs, matzo meal or flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ginger
3. The consistency should be pasty but without excess liquid. If the mix seems dry, go ahead and add another egg.
4. Heat your skillet or flat grill to high and add frying oil of your choice. Once the oil is hot enough, form a baseball size ball with the filling and place it onto the grill. Using a spatula, flatten the filling into a pancake shape.
5. Cook pancake about 3-5 minutes on each side.
6. Garnish the finished pancakes with Marshmallow Topping and a dollop of Cranberry Apple Sauce.