San Diego audiences will get a chance to see some of Broadway's biggest hits, from Disney's "Frozen" to the Tony Award-winning "Dear Evan Hansen" and "Mean Girls," on tour this coming season.
Broadway San Diego's upcoming 2019 - 2020 season, announced Wednesday, also features hometown hit "Come From Away," which started at La Jolla Playhouse in 2015.
The musical has seen gone on to win numerous accolades, including the Tony Award for Best Director for Christopher Ashley, the artistic director at the Playhouse.
“The 2019-2020 season is just what our San Diego audiences have been asking for,” said Vanessa Davis, General Manager of Broadway/San Diego, in a statement. “This is as close to the Great White Way they can get without taking a flight."
San Diegans will also get the chance to see the 50th-anniversary tour of Andrew Lloyd Webber's classic rock opera, "Jesus Christ Superstar."
The 20th-anniversary tour of "Rent" also returns to San Diego next year.
Other notable musicals: the smash Broadway hits "Mean Girls," featuring a book by Tina Fey, and "Dear Evan Hansen," the Tony and Grammy Award-winning musical - both making their San Diego debut.
Here's a look at the productions coming to San Diego, and when:
- Anastasia the Musical: October 1 - 6, 2019.
- Jesus Christ Superstar: Nov. 12 - 17, 2019.
- Dear Evan Hansen: Dec. 31 - Jan. 12, 2020.
- Disney's Frozen the Musical: March 26 - April 12, 2020.
- Rent the Musical: May 8 - May 10, 2020.
- Mean Girls the Musical: June 9 - 14, 2020.
- Come From Away: June 23 - 28, 2020.
- My Fair Lady: July 7 - 12, 2020.