No matter what happens on Election Day, you can count on this: there are plenty of deals and freebies to be had on Nov. 8 in San Diego.
Here’s a list of some tasty treats voters can cash in on come Election Day – just rock your “I Voted” sticker and enjoy:
• Breakfast Republic: This cool, breakfast-centric eatery’s two locations – North Park (2730 University Ave.) and Liberty Station (2865 Sims Road, Ste. 106) – will serve free apple pancakes on Election Day. Both locations open at 7 a.m. daily.
• Brian’s 24: After a long day at the voting polls, the 24-hour restaurant in downtown Gaslamp Quarter (828 Sixth Ave.) will offer patrons a free short stack of pancakes.
• Miss B’s Coconut Club: This newcomer to Mission Beach (3704 Mission Blvd.) will celebrate Election Day by offering patrons a complimentary shot dubbed the “Great Idea.” Miss B’s Coconut Club is open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., with brunch served every day until 2 p.m.
• Backyard Kitchen & Tap: Another popular beachside spot, Backyard Kitchen & Tap (832 Garnet Ave.) will give patrons 20% off their tab on Election Day with their “I Voted” sticker. The eatery also plans to sell $5 Don Julio and Crown Royal drinks for those who could use a cocktail after the polls.
• Farmer’s Bottega: This charming little spot in Mission Hills (860 West Washington St.) will also toast to the power of a good drink on Election Day, offering voters a free mimosa or glass of champagne. Farmer’s Bottega is open from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
• Grater Grilled Cheese: This casual spot in Mission Valley (5618 Mission Center Rd., #1002) specializing in unique versions of the classic sandwich plans to offer a free half-cup of tomato bisque with the purchase of any sandwich on Nov. 8. Now, that sounds comforting on Election Day.
• Fig Tree Café: All three locations – Pacific Beach (5119 Cass St.), Hillcrest (416 University Ave.) and Liberty Station (2400 Historic Decatur Rd., #103) – will offer a free half-order of French toast. The PB and Hillcrest locations open at 8 a.m.; Liberty Station at 7 a.m.
• Woodstock’s Pizza: The San Diego (6145 El Cajon Blvd.) and Pacific Beach (1221 Garnet Ave.) pizza joints will offer Happy Hour specials all day long on Election Day.
• Krispy Kreme: The popular doughnut chain will offer one free doughnut of choice to patrons wearing their “I Voted” sticker. Local Krispy Kreme shops – which open daily at 5:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. – include Chula Vista (2305 Otay Lakes Rd., Suite 206); Clairemont (4180 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.); Rancho Carmel (11050 Rancho Carmel Dr.).