Local crate diggers have more than a few reasons to be thankful this week: Not only will San Diego’s independent record shops be participating in Record Store Day’s annual Black Friday sales event (which offers all sorts of limited-edition titles up for grabs; more coverage on that here), but South Park’s own Vinyl Junkies Record Shack is packing the Nov. 23-24 weekend with two days of celebrations to commemorate its own one-year anniversary.
The shop, which is located at 2235 Fern St. and owned and ran by Eric Howarth and the Casbah’s own Tim Mays, officially opened its doors on Record Store Day Black Friday exactly one year ago (read our 2017 interview with Howarth and Mays here) and similar to the grand opening bash they threw then, their birthday party promises to be a good time as well.
San Diego music scene stars galore will be on hand throughout the Friday and Saturday events either as special guest DJs -- such as Mario Rubalcaba (Earthless, Off, Hot Snakes), Victor Penalosa (the Zeros, Flamin’ Groovies), Carrie Gillespie Feller (Hexa, Hours), Craig Oliver (of Volar Records) and Mays himself, among others -- or live performers, like local go-to party band the Creepy Creeps, experimental hip-hop trio Parker Meridien, indie-pop group Bit Maps, and the hip-hop/punk outfit Planet B (also serving as an album release for their new, self-titled record).
Of course, that’s just the tip of the iceberg -- there’s a lot more planned (of course, the shop's also participating in RSD Black Friday as well), so look below for further details. The Vinyl Junkies Record Shack’s hours are 10 a.m.-10 p.m. on both Nov. 23 and 24, so you've got plenty of time to drop in.
Friday, Nov. 23
- 10 a.m.: DJ Pokkey (Sample This!)
- Noon: Demetrius & Rebecca Antuna (Warsaw)
- 1 p.m.: Jeff Terich & Candice Eley (Blood Ponies)
- 2 p.m.: Craig Oliver (Volar Records)
- 3 p.m.: Parker Meridien (live performance)
- 4 p.m.: DJ Capt’n Black (Death Eyes)
- 5 p.m.: DJ Marcellus Wallace
- 6 p.m.: The Creepy Creeps (live performance)
- 7 p.m.: DJ Mr Mazee (Casbah), Lucina Go (Scary Pierre)
- 8 p.m.: Mario Rubalcaba (Earthless, Off, Hot Snakes)
- 9 p.m.: DJ Zombie GoGo
Saturday, Nov. 24
- 10 a.m.: DJ Shoeshine
- Noon: El Gato
- 1 p.m.: DJ Vaughn Avakian (Club Sabbat)
- 2 p.m.: Carrie Gillespie Feller (Hexa, Hours)
- 3 p.m.: Bit Maps (live performance)
- 4 p.m.: DJ Camilla Robina
- 5 p.m.: Planet B (live record release in-store)
- 6 p.m.: DJ Brandy Bell (Strangers in a Fire)
- 7 p.m.: Victor Penalosa (The Zeroes, Flamin’ Groovies)
- 8-10 p.m.: DJs -- Creepy Creeps vs. Beehive & the Barracudas ("A battle of riffs, jams, and hits!")