Buckle up, fans of the Frights -- you're in for some scary good news: The hometown surf-punk heroes have just announced a brand new studio album, "Hypochondriac," set for release via Epitaph Records on Aug. 24 -- and a record release show at the Observatory North Park on the very same night.
In addition, the group (which is comprised of vocalist/guitarist Mikey Carnevale, bassist Richard Dotson, drummer Marc Finn and guitarist Jordan Clark) has just released their latest music video, "Me and We and I," which follows last month's explosive anthem "Crutch."
The band's upcoming third full-length album (produced by FIDLAR frontman Zac Carper) is also their first on legendary punk label Epitaph (we reported on their signing earlier this year) -- and it's currently up for pre-order with special merch bundles at thefrights.com.
"'Hypochondriac' is the most comfortable I’ve been with a record thus far,” Carnevale said in a press release. "I care a lot about these songs because they’re embarrassing and personal.
"I had started to brainstorm where I wanted to go with this record basically the day we released 'You Are Going To Hate This' [the band's second record]," Carnevale continued. "At first, I overthought the hell out of it, due to coming down from the high of making our first real album in a real studio with a real producer. So it took about a year or so until I realized that I’m not special and I just forced myself to sit down with an acoustic guitar. What came of that, I think, is a confessional album that I never assumed a band like ours would make.
The release of "Hypochondriac" coincides with a massive North American tour that kicks off right here in town and takes them clear through October when it wraps up in Phoenix, Arizona at the Crescent Ballroom. Tickets for the Observatory North Park show are $25 (plus fees) and go on sale Friday, June 22, at 10 a.m. PST at this link.
The Frights "Hypochondriac North American Tour" Dates
- Aug. 24: San Diego, CA Observatory North Park
- Sept. 8: Santa Ana, CA Observatory
- Sept. 9: San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
- Sept. 11: Salt Lake City, UT In The Venue
- Sept. 12: Denver, CO Bluebird Theater
- Sept. 14-15: Chicago, IL Riot Fest
- Sept. 16: Minneapolis, MN 7th Street Entry
- Sept. 20: Dallas, TX Trees
- Sept. 21: Austin, TX Barracuda
- Sept. 22: San Antonio, TX Paper Tiger
- Sept. 23: Houston, TX Warehouse Live Studio
- Sept. 25: Orlando, FL The Abbey
- Sept. 27: Tampa, FL Crowbar
- Sept. 28: Atlanta, GA Masquerade (Hell)
- Sept. 29: Greensboro, NC Blind Tiger
- Oct. 3: Washington DC Rock N Roll Hotel
- Oct. 4: Philadelphia, PA Union Transfer
- Oct. 5: Boston, MA Royale
- Oct. 6: Baltimore, MD Metro Gallery
- Oct. 7: New York, NY Brooklyn Steel
- Oct. 10: Toronto, ON Hard Luck
- Oct. 11: Detroit, MI Shelter
- Oct. 12: Columbus, OH Ace of Cups
- Oct. 13: St. Louis, MO Fubar
- Oct. 16: Sante Fe, NM Meow Wolf
- Oct. 18: Phoenix, AZ Crescent Ballroom