It will sound like a joke to indie rockers everywhere if I say that most of you have never heard of Phoenix. The hipsters and music aficionados everywhere are probably already over the band, because that's what seems to happen when a band like Phoenix becomes more ubiquitous for their music in advertising placement than radio spins. Regardless, you've nonetheless heard the band in countless automobile ads, but hopefully you know that the French band has some amazing songs that will no doubt sound perfect in a September sky at the Open Air Theatre.
The Casbah has a killer show for the electronic crowd and there's plenty of other goodness around town but I'm gonna stick to my guns here...go to the Open Air Theatre first. Rumor is that tickets are super cheap if bought onsite and because of the college curfew, you'll have plenty of time to hit a great local show afterward.
Tuesday September 21:
- Phoenix, Neon Indian, Holy Ghost @ Open Air Theatre, SDSU
- Signal Path, Blockhead, Nocando w/ Open Mike Eagle @ Casbah
- Tiki Two's Day with Adrian Demain, guest @ Bar Pink
- Local Mediums Art Show feat. Zapf Dingbats @ El Dorado
- Saccarine Trust, Neo, Tribraco, Pea @ Soda Bar
- Paper Forest, Young Mammels, D/Wolves, Bruisecaster @ Tin Can
- James McMurtry, Jonny Burke @ Belly Up
- The Fairmounts @ Eleven
- Local Brews Local Grooves: Chris Zach, Lenny Morris, Driver Ed Band, The Plastic Revolution & Tori Roze and the Hot Mess @ House of Blues
- Anthology House Band @ Anthology
- Duchess, Red Octopus, Luna Is Honey @ Ruby Room
- Nena Anderson and Friends @ Riviera Supper Club
- 52nd Street (Billy Joel Tribute) @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- The Stilettos @ Henry's Pub
- Open Mic @ O'Connell's
- Delta Heat @ Patrick's ll
- Dave Booda Acoustic @ Tiki House
- Tomcat Courtney @ La Gran Tapa
- The Movement @ Winston's
- Jackson & Jesus @ McP's Irish Pub
Rosemary Bystrak writes about the San Diego music scene, events, and sometimes whatever creeps into her head on her music blog San Diego: Dialed In. Check it for even more listings. She also provides social media content for the Casbah. Follow her updates at twitter.com/sddialedin or submit your music listings.