Well, that sure didn't take long: Khalid, the R&B star who rose to worldwide fame in 2017 like a shot out of a cannon, has announced his first-ever arena tour -- and it stops in San Diego at Pechanga Arena (formerly Valley View Casino Center) on Sunday, June 23.
The just-announced "Free Spirit" world tour (which features special guest Clairo) follows the eagerly anticipated release of Khalid's sophomore album of the same name on Friday, April 5. Coincidentally, that's also the date that tickets for his San Diego show go on sale to the general public. Naturally, various pre-sale options will be made available so check LiveNation.com and KhalidOfficial.com for more information as they're made available.
MY FIRST ARENA TOUR!
3 years ago, I did my first show in a coffee shop.
Life is such a blessing, I love u guys, thank you so much @clairo for joining me ❤️
more info/tickets coming super super soon pic.twitter.com/RnaUmJleCl
— Khalid (@thegreatkhalid) March 29, 2019
All this big news is par for the course for the singer/songwriter, as he seemed destined for huge things right from the start: His debut single, "Location," was released in 2016 and hit No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and was later certified quadruple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.
In early 2017, he was featured on Logic's single "1-800-273-8255," which peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 -- but not before Khalid released his first full-length album, "American Teen." The album received widespread critical acclaim and earned him two Grammy Award nominations for Best Urban Contemporary Album and Best R&B Song (for "Location").
Later that year, he won the VMA Award for Best New Artist and followed that with chart-topping collaborations with Swae Lee ("The Ways"); Lorde, SZA and Post Malone ("Homemade Dynamite" remix); Normani ("Love Lies"); Billie Eilish ("Lovely"); and Benny Blanco with Halsey ("Eastside"). The last time Khalid stopped in San Diego, he performed at House of Blues in July of 2017 and UCSD's Sun God Festival just two months prior.
After appeasing fans with a seven-song EP titled "Suncity" late last year (which featured a collaboration with Empress Of), Khalid looks primed for even more success with the upcoming release of "Free Spirit," a prime slot at this year's Coachella Music & Arts Festival, and a big summer tour right around the corner.
Khalid 2019 Free Spirit World Tour Dates
- June 20: Phoenix, AZ at Gila River Arena
- June 22: Las Vegas, NV at MGM Grand Garden Arena
- June 23: San Diego, CA at Pechanga Arena
- June 25: Los Angeles, CA at Staples Center
- June 28: Oakland, CA at Oracle Arena
- June 29: Sacramento, CA at Golden 1 Center
- July 1: Portland, OR at MODA Center
- July 4: Edmonton, AB at Rogers Place
- July 7: Tacoma, WA at Tacoma Dome
- July 9: Spokane, WA at Spokane Arena
- July 12: Denver, CO at Pepsi Center
- July 14: Dallas, TX at American Airlines Center
- July 16: San Antonio, TX at AT&T Center
- July 18: Houston, TX at Toyota Center
- July 19: Oklahoma City, OK at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- July 21: Kansas City, MO at Sprint Center (without Clairo)
- July 23: St. Paul, MN at XCEL Energy Center
- July 25: Chicago, IL at United Center
- July 26: Columbus, OH at Nationwide Arena
- July 28: Detroit, MI at Little Caesars Arena
- July 29: Pittsburgh, PA at PPG Paints Arena
- July 31: New York, NY at Madison Square Garden
- Aug. 3: Washington, DC at Capital One Arena
- Aug. 4: Hartford, CT at XL Center
- Aug. 6: Toronto, ON at Scoatiabank Arena
- Aug. 8: Montreal, BC at the Bell Centre
- Aug. 10: Boston, MA at TD Garden
- Aug. 11: Philadelphia, PA at Wells Fargo Center
- Aug. 13: Charlotte, NC at Spectrum Center
- Aug. 14: Atlanta, GA at State Farm Arena
- Aug. 16: Orlando, FL at Amway Center
- Aug. 17: Miami, FL at AmericanAirlines Arena