Within the past month or so, members of Blink-182 -- notably bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis Barker -- have been busy making headlines (from getting their own Funko figurines to allegedly helping capture Saddam Hussein) but the biggest news out of the San Diego pop-punk band’s camp is Barker’s ongoing health issues.
In June, Barker was admitted to the hospital for blood clots in his arms, which forced the postponement of the band’s scheduled “Kings of the Weekend” residency shows at Las Vegas’ Palms Casino on June 15-16.
After being diagnosed, treated and released, he was again admitted to the hospital a few days later with further complications stemming from cellulitis, a skin infection. The group's June 23-24 Vegas shows were also postponed.
On July 9, Barker released a video via YouTube titled “Road to Recovery,” which, as the title suggests, sheds some light into his diagnosis, treatment and recovery process.
“It’s been the longest 4 weeks without playing drums,” the drummer wrote in a statement accompanying the video. “I played through two shows in Vegas with infection and blood clots before I was able to get a clear diagnosis from a doctor. Here’s an update on my road to recovery.”
While the update confirms our earlier reports, there is some good news: At one point in the video, Barker’s doctor can be heard saying, “The good news about these blood clots is that none of them are deep. These blood clots won’t propagate to your lungs.”
The possibility of clots traveling throughout the body (to the brain or the lungs, for example) is one of the primary causes for concern for those suffering from the condition. That's a relief to hear. Here's to hoping for Barker's speedy recovery and that he's back behind the drumset soon!
Blink-182’s remaining 2018 tour dates
- Sept. 14: Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest
- Sept. 18: Windsor, ON @ The Colosseum
- Oct. 26: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino
- Oct. 27: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino
- Nov. 2: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino
- Nov. 3: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino
- Nov. 9: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino
- Nov. 10: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino
- Nov. 16: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino
- Nov. 17: Las Vegas, NV @ Pearl Theater at the Palms Casino