It's been five years since Ben Kweller last played the Casbah -- or anywhere, for that matter. Kweller says he had more or less quit music after his family nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning while on a family vacation, and he dealt with the aftermath in the form of separation anxiety and depression, but he was still writing music all the while, and the result is this year's "Circuit to Boredom." The tour passes through with MainMan and Modern Love Child opening, making for a solid top-to-bottom night of music. Meanwhile, another near-death survivor, Wayne "the Train" Hancock, who was severely injured in a motorcycle crash a few years back, returns to Soda Bar with his unique outlaw country stylings. Around town, Bar Pink goes jazz with Donny Fizzell Jazz Band, our pal Jason Mann plays De Oro Mine Co. and Nathan James appears at Humphreys backstage.
Monday, April 22:
- Ben Kweller, Mainman, Modern Love Child @ Casbah
- Wayne "the Train" Hancock, Johnny Deadly Trio @ Soda Bar
- The Playground Monday Night Dance Party @ The Merrow
- Donny Finnell Jazz Band @ Bar Pink
- Ali Wong: the Milk and Money Tour @ Civic Theatre
- Motown on Mondays @ The Office
- Electric Waste Band @ Winston's
- Makossa Mondays with DJ Tah Rei @ Seven Grand
- Blue Monday: Dark '80s Night with Aaron Wallace & DJ Camilla Robina @ Blonde
- Jason Mann @ De Oro Mine Co.
- Andy and Nathan @ Martini's Above Fourth
- Palmer Anthony @ The Field Irish Pub
- Strictly Acoustic @ Navajo Live
- Nathan James @ Humphreys Backstage Live
- Wheels of the Industry @ Live Wire
- Open Mic @ Lestat's
- Acoustic Night/Industry Night @ Henry's Pub
- 31 Flavors @ U-31
Rosemary Bystrak is the publicist for the Casbah and writes about the San Diego music scene, events and general musings about life in San Diego on San Diego: Dialed In. Follow her updates on Twitter or contact her directly.