Coronado Ranked America’s Best Beach
Each beach in the top 10 list has to meet 50 different criteria
Thinking about visiting Coronado’s coast sometime this summer? Well it might get crowded, because the beautiful shoreline has been ranked America’s Best Beach for 2012.
The ranking was determined by Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, aka: “Dr. Beach,” who is professor and director of coastal research at Florida International University.
Each beach in the top 10 list has to meet 50 different criteria, ranging from sand softness to water temperature and water access.
Leatherman credited Coronado’s “Mediterranean climate” and the “great team of lifeguards” for the no. 1 spot. It doesn’t hurt that Coronado has gorgeous views, on and off the island.
The full list includes:
- Coronado Beach, Calif.
- Kahanamoku Beach, near Waikiki's Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu, Hawaii
- Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
- St. George Island State Park, Fla.
- Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
- Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
- Cape Florida State Park, Fla.
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
- Cape Hatteras, N.C.
Follow NBCSanDiego for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts