San Diegans sure knows how to make good beer: Local breweries picked up 16 awards at the World Beer Cup last weekend.
The competition, often called the “Olympics of beer,” was held in Mission Valley last week and saturated the city with various craft beer celebrations.
San Diego yet again proved that it’s a powerhouse in the beer industry, as it earned more prizes than any other area in the U.S. Not only did America’s Finest City dominate the competition this year, it also significantly improved from 2010 when local brewers snatched 12 medals.
Pizza Port racked up the most awards of San Diego companies with two gold medals, two silver awards and one bronze.
There were more than 4,000 entries from roughly 200 countries at this year’s championship and San Diego was competing against the likes of Germany, Japan, Denmark and the Czech Republic.
Fortunately for San Diego brewers, they didn’t have to travel far to pick up their awards. Here’s a list of local winners:
- Chocolate Beer Bronze: Odin’s Raven, Alpine Beer Co.
- Coffee Beer Gold: Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Coffee Imperial Porter, Pizza Port Ocean Beach
- Experimental Beer Bronze: Where There’s Smoke..., Manzanita Brewing Co.
- American-Belgo-Style Ale Bronze: Le Freak, Green Flash Brewing Co.
- French- & Belgian-Style Saison Gold: Carnevale, The Lost Abbey
- Belgian- and French-Style Ale Bronze: Gift of the Magi, The Lost Abbey
- Belgian-Style Dark Strong Ale Silver: Two Tortugas Belgian Quad, Karl Strauss Brewing Co.
- English-Style Brown Ale Gold: Longboard Brown Ale, Rock Bottom La Jolla
- Old Ale or Strong Ale Silver: AleSmith Decadence 2010 Old Ale, AleSmith Brewing Co.
- Barley Wine-Style Ale Bronze: AleSmith Old Numbskull, AleSmith Brewing Co.
- Irish-Style Red Ale Gold: Red Trolley Ale, Karl Strauss Brewing Co.
- Imperial India Pale Ale Gold: Poor Man’s IPA, Pizza Port Carlsbad and Bronze: Palate Wrecker, Green Flash Brewing Co.
- American-Style Brown Ale Bronze: Great American Brown, Pizza Port Carlsbad
- American-Style Black Ale Silver: Tarantulas 2.0, Pizza Port Ocean Beach
- American-Style Stout Bronze: Achievement Beyond Life’s Experiences American Stout Brit Antrim Benefit Beer, Pizza Port Ocean Beach