Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow – especially when you can chill out at the beach? Apparently the sun and sand are good distractions for San Diegans.
San Diego has moved up the list of “top ten tax procrastinating cities” to number 5 this year.
The following list of procrastinating cities is determined by the number of tax returns electronically filed online via the TurboTax Online service from April 13-April 17, 2008.
- San Francisco, Calif.– The Golden Gate City takes the gold this year when it comes to tax procrastinators, moving up from number 5.
- Houston, Texas – After being booted from the number 1 spot last year, which they have claimed more than any other city (three times), Houston barely misses out this year coming in at number 2.
- New York, N.Y. – The “City that Never Sleeps” has made a habit of snoozing through tax season. Although it has dropped one spot to number 3, New York has made it onto the top 10 list for the last eight years.
- Chicago, Ill. – After taking the crown last year, the “Windy City” drops to number 4 on the list.
- San Diego, Calif. – The sun and sand are good distractions for San Diegans. Despite being home to TurboTax, San Diego manages to move up to number 5 this year.
- Phoenix, Ariz. – Returning to the list this year and making the biggest jump (from 13) is Phoenix.
- Seattle, Wash. – Seattle coffee must come in handy for all those procrastinators at tax time. For the second year running, Seattle comes in at number 7.
- Los Angeles, Calif. – Too busy chasing down celebrities? Los Angeles has once again made its way onto the list at number 8.
- Dallas, Texas – The 9th largest city in the U.S. has gotten even bigger when it comes to tax procrastinators. Returning to the list this year is Dallas.
- Las Vegas, Nev. – Sin City proved to be too big of a temptation for taxpayers last year. Wrapping up the top 10 list this year is Las Vegas.
If you’re a procrastinator and you’re not going to make the April 15 deadline, you can file for an extension.
Taxpayers will get an extra 6 months to file and you can file for free at www.turbotax.com.