Poll: Pay Boys for Miracle Hockey Shot

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011  |  Updated 1:59 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Poll: Pay Boys for Miracle Hockey Shot

Detroit tops first NHL power poll of the season

An 11-year-old Minnesota boy has made an astounding hockey shot — sending a puck into a tiny hole 89 feet away to win a $50,000 contest at a charity game.

Only one problem: Nate Smith was standing in for his identical twin, Nick, who won a raffle ticket contest to qualify.

Should organizers pay the prize?

NBCSanDiego Facbook followers haved shared their thoughts.

As of 1:50 p.m., 73 percent of people said the organizers should still pay up the prize, which the boys said on The Today Show that they'll largely invest in their college fund. The other 27 percent said the contest was invalid.

Nick Smith says he was outside when his ticket was drawn to make the shot last Thursday at the charity game in Faribault. So, his brother stepped in.

Nate Smith says he was "stunned" when the puck went in.

Their father told organizers Nate, not Nick, made the shot. Pat Smith says honesty is the best policy.

The general manager of the company that insured the raffle says processing claims takes about three weeks and he can't make a decision on payment until he's done.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out