Tearful L.T. Thanks San Diego

Tomlinson says if he plays again, it won't be for the Raiders

By Eric S. Page
|  Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010  |  Updated 8:26 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Tearful L.T. Thanks San Diego

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Tearful L.T. Thanks San Diego

A former Chargers star reached out to fans on Wednesday.
More Photos and Videos

A former Chargers star reached out to fans on Wednesday.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson closed out nine seasons with the San Diego Chargers on Monday, when the team announced that he had been released.

On Wednesday, Tomlinson went out to Poway to the Maderas Golf Club for a tearful news conference. The NFL star offered thanks both to San Diego and Charger fans. He also told the assembled reporters that he wanted another shot at extending his career achievements but acknowledged that he did not know where that would occur.

"I definitely still want to play," L.T. said. "I still have a lot to give to the game. Not only the performance part, but the mentoring part, teaching young guys."

Still, there are limits to what he would do to get back in the game.

"I wouldn't become a Raider," L.T. said.

Chargers President Dean Spanos met with Tomlinson on Monday, according to a news release issued by the team.

"This is a part of the business that I hate, and it's particularly hard when you’re dealing with someone I consider a friend," Spanos said.

L.T., who joined the team in 2001, was one of 53 men recognized as the greatest Chargers of all-time in a ceremony last season celebrating the team's 50th anniversary last season.

Tomlinson was due a $2 million bonus in early March, which all but guaranteed he would be cut loose as his role diminished on a team that thrived with a pass-happy offense.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out