Five-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson announced education grants worth nearly $700,000 to 13 schools in three states -- including many in San Diego County -- as part of his charitable foundation.
The local schools that shared in the bounty are:
- Chase Avenue School, in El Cajon
- Emerald STEM Magnet Middle School, in El Cajon
- Grossmont High School, in El Cajon
- Fulton K-8 School, in San Diego
- Marston Middle School, in San Diego
- Mission Bay High School, in San Diego
- San Diego Unified School District
The Jimmie Johnson Foundation has partnered with Lowe's, his primary sponsor, to fund school projects over the past two years. The money will go to programs ranging from science and technology needs to arts, literacy initiatives, athletic facilities and school improvements.
According to the Jimmie Johnson Foundation website, the organization has given away more than $1.5 million to 35 schools in two years