After Suspect's Release, San Diego Police Seek New Leads in Homeless Attacks | NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

After Suspect's Release, San Diego Police Seek New Leads in Homeless Attacks

Police say new evidence pointed away from Anthony Padgett as the suspect in the case



    NBC 7's Candice Nguyen reports on the release of the man arrested in the series of killings involving homeless men in San Diego. (Published Tuesday, July 12, 2016)

    What to Know

    • Three men died and one was critically injured in attacks that occurred July 3-6 in San Diego

    • All four attacks are tied to one suspect captured on store surveillance cameras buying a gas can, gasoline and lighter, police said.

    • Anyone with information can call SDPD homicide (619) 531-2293 or CrimeStoppers at (888) 580-8477.

    A man arrested last week in connection to a series of gruesome attacks on homeless San Diegans has been released from custody, a major development in a case police say remains their top priority.

    In a news conference on Monday afternoon, San Diego Police Capt. Dave Nisleit said investigators came across new evidence that lessened their confidence that Anthony A. Padgett should be held in jail as the suspect in the case.

    Nisleit said new evidence contradicted investigators' theory that Anthony Padgett was the suspect who killed three homeless people and seriously injured a fourth.

    "I don't have any evidence to keep him behind bars right now," Nisleit said.

    Suspect in Homeless Killings Released

    [DGO] Exculpatory Evidence Leads to Release of Anthony Padgett, Suspect in Homeless Killings
    The San Diego Police Department announced today that it does not have enough evidence to hold or charge Anthony Padgett, the suspect the police arrested last Thursday. (Published Monday, July 11, 2016)

    Padgett, who was arrested last Thursday in the highly publicized case, was released on Monday just before he was set to be arraigned; he was never formally charged.

    In a previous interview, Padgett maintained his innocence.

    Explaining why Padgett was released, Nisleit said investigators initially had probable cause to arrest him — he closely resembled a surveillance image of the killer and also had a previous 2010 conviction of lighting someone on fire.

    However, after investigating further, detective learned new evidence that appeared to point away from Padgett. Nisleit declined to elaborate on that evidence.

    “I could not risk not taking him into custody and leaving him out in the community," Nisleit said. “I believe it was the right decision then and I still believe it was the right decision now.”

    Nisleit said investigators are renewing their search for the serial killer.

    "I want to ensure everybody that this investigation remains the No. 1 priority for the San Diego Police Department," Nisleit said.

    Anyone with information on the attacks is asked to call the department's homicide unit at 619-531-2293 or, if you wish to remain anonymous, you can call Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477.

    Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events:iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts