Pennsylvania University Basketball Player Likely Inhaled Chewing Gum in Sleep | NBC 7 San Diego
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Pennsylvania College Basketball Player Likely Died from Chewing Gum in Sleep

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    California University of Pennsylvania
    Shanice Clark died in her sleep.

    A western Pennsylvania university student and basketball player likely inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep before she was found dead in her dormitory over the weekend.

    The Washington County coroner's office said 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania.

    University officials said they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the 6-foot senior forward, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.

    California borough police said a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental.

    An autopsy was conducted Monday.

    Although the coroner didn't immediately release the results, police said medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping.