A 15-year-old boy was among six people killed in weekend violence in Chicago and one of at least 24 shot since Friday afternoon.
Police said the teen was standing on a corner around 10 p.m. Saturday with a 16-year-old boy when a group of people got out of a vehicle and opened fire at them. The 15-year-old boy, later identified as Dekarlos Scott, was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene. The 16-year-old boy was shot in the shoulder and taken to Roseland Community Hospital in stable condition, according to authorities.
Scott lived on the 100 block of West 110th Street, police said.
Two men were shot -- one fatally -- in the Hyde Park neighborhood on Sunday night. The men were in the 5600 block of South Everett Avenue about 7:20 p.m. when someone walked up and opened fire, police said.
Ovadiyah Chandler, 34, was shot twice in the back of the head and was pronounced dead at the scene at 8:20 p.m., according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. Chandler’s home address was not immediately known.
The other man, who police said is 41 years old, was shot in the arm and taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, where he was listed in stable condition, police said.
Both men are documented gang members, police said.
On Saturday, a 23-year-old man was fatally shot in the chest when someone opened fire at a group of people around 5 p.m. in the 11100 block of South Homewood Avenue. The group heard shots and people fled in several directions, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan.
The man was found on the ground and pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center, police said.
- Severe Weather Sweeps Across Chicago Area
- 2 Dead, Up to 3 Missing After Boating Accident
- Woman Sues Grocery Store After Slipping on Vomit
Just after 3 a.m. Sunday, a 23-year-old man was found with multiple gunshot wounds to his body in the 7200 block of South Wentworth Avenue, police said.
He was pronounced dead at the scene, Sullivan said.
Also Sunday, officials responding to a report of a “man down” found a man unresponsive in the 11100 block of South Lowe Avenue.
The man, whose age and identity were not immediately known, was found with a gunshot wound to the chest just before 7:45 a.m. and was pronounced dead at the scene.
At least eight others were shot Saturday evening and into Sunday.
- Just before 4 p.m. Sunday, two people were shot in the 2400 block of East 75th Street. police said a 47-year-old man was taken to Northwestern Hospital in stable condition and a 42-year-old man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center for treatment. It was not immediately clear what caused the shooting, police said.
- Around 12:30 p.m., police said a 34-year-old man was found with multiple gunshot wounds to his body in the 6800 block of South Talman Avenue. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
- Around 7:10 a.m. Sunday, a man in his 30s was shot in the leg in the 900 block of North Parkside Avenue in the city’s Austin neighborhood. He was listed in stable condition at Mount Sinai Hospital, police said.
- At 1 a.m., a 14-year-old boy was shot near 115th Street and Parnell Avenue in the West Pullman neighborhood. The young teen suffered a wound to his foot and was taken to Roseland Community Hospital where his condition was stabilized.
- Just after 10:30 p.m. a 55-year-old man was shot in the Fuller Park neighborhood. The man was in the 300 block of West 42nd Place when a white minivan pulled up and several men exited the vehicle and opened fire. The man was listed in serious condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County with multiple gunshot wounds.
- Around 6:30 p.m. Saturday, a 22-year-old man was shot in a possible drive-by shooting near Lawrence and Avers avenues. The man was in the 4700 block of North Avers Avenue when he was shot in the face, police said. He transported himself to Swedish Covenant Hospital and was later transferred to St. Francis Hospital.
- Just after 6 p.m., a store clerk was shot during a robbery in Logan Square, police said. The shooting took place in the 2600 block of North Kedzie Avenue. A 25-year-old man working in the store was shot in the leg and taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in good condition. The offender removed cash from the store and fled the scene, police said.