NBC 7 San Diego
Pat Smith (R) talked about her son Sean Smith (L) who was killed in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012.
The mother of a man who died during the Benghazi attack gave her reaction today following statements made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Sean Smith was killed while he was working as an information specialist in Libya last year. His mother, Pat, said with each bit of information released about the Benghazi attacks, she still wants the same thing: Answers.
“I want to know what happened,” she said. “My son is dead. Nothing I can do about it. My only son.”
Pat watched small portions of the Congressional Hearings on Benghazi at home on Wednesday. She says she thinks Hillary Clinton should take the blame for the Benghazi attacks because that is what leaders do – but believes Clinton isn't the only one who should be taking the blame.,
She said President Barack Obama also needs to admit his failure to protect the U.S. embassy.
Pat says she still doesn't know why her son was in Libya in the first place, but did say Sean would call her and tell her how happy he was with his job.
During funeral services for her son and the three other Americans killed, Pat said Defense Secretary Leon Panetta held her face and promised he would let her know what happened in the attack.
She is still waiting on that response. Pat said answers are the only way for her to find closure in losing her son, but she believes that is never going to happen.
“I miss him and if it’s so secret then whisper in my ear and I'll shut up and go away,” Pat said. “Not telling me is not fair. I want to know why he died.”