A 14-year-old boy who allegedly threatened to shoot teachers and students at his East County school made his first court appearance on Tuesday.
The eighth grader was arrested last Thursday night in La Mesa. Police say he made death threats against at least six students and teachers at La Mesa Middle School.
The treats came to light last week, when students told school staff about the boy's alleged comments.
Officers found a gun and a "hit-list" at the boy's home.
Prosecution and defense lawyers would not discuss the case because the boy is a juvenile. But the district attorney's office says any criminal threats are taken seriously.
“I think it's having faith in the juvenile court system … engaged in this type of behavior,” said Deputy District Attorney Jihan Yacoub.
Investigators said the teen suspect may have been bullied by other students.
Keep up to date on breaking news: Download our improved iPhone app, follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.)