A woman had to be rescued from her bedroom inside a burning house early Tuesday morning.
El Cajon police said homicide detectives are investigating this as a suspicious fire, which started at about midnight and was knocked down in about 15 minutes.
Update: Fire officials ruled the fire accidental. They say it was caused by a faulty wall furnace.
Heartland fire and rescue workers saved the woman who was unconscious and not breathing out of the one-story home that fire officials say was a boarding facility.
Keep up to date: Download our improved iPhone app.
Four adults and two children live inside the house on east Lexington ave, near Jamacha Rd.
In total three adults suffered smoke inhalation including the woman who was rescued. Two people were transported to the Regional Burn Center at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest.
The 68-year-old woman found unconscious is in critical condition, and the second victim is reported to be in stable condition.
The fire was caused by a malfunctioning wall heater in the living room that ignited a nearby couch.
Damage to the structure is estimated at roughly $100,000.