Los Angeles Police Department Officers block the entrance to Santa Monica College after multiple shootings were reported on June 7, 2013 in Santa Monica.
A shooting spree ended in a gun battle inside Santa Monica College library Friday and left four victims and a lone gunman dead, authorities said.
The entire ordeal lasted about 13 minutes, Santa Monica Police Sgt. Richard Lewis said Saturday.
Below is a rough timeline of the shooting rampage, based on information provided by Lewis at a news conference Saturday afternoon.
- 11:52 a.m.: Police receive report of shots fired in the 2000 block of Yorkshire Avenue. First responders arrive to find a home engulfed in flames and a female driver suffering from a gunshot wound.
- The gunman carjacks a female driver at gunpoint and orders her to drive. They travel down Pico Boulevard toward Santa Monica College.
- Two people are later found dead in a back room of the house. The fire is believed to have started in the front of the 1,000-square-foot home, Santa Monica Fire Department Chief Scott Ferguson said. It is not yet known what time or how the fire started.
- 11:56 a.m.: Witnesses report seeing and hearing shots fired at a Santa Monica Big Blue Bus at Cloverfield and Pico boulevards.
- 12:02 p.m.: Police receive calls of shots fired at Cloverfield Boulevard and Pearl Street.
- A 68-year-old man is fatally shot while driving a red Ford Explorer near Lot 1 on Santa Monica College campus. His passenger is also shot.
- The gunman scrambles onto campus, dropping a bag later found to be filled with magazines and a handgun. He heads toward the library.
- 12:05 p.m.: One of three police officers involved in a gun battle with the shooter announces over his radio that the gunman has been killed.
- 1:15 p.m.: A man dressed in all black is taken into custody on campus. He is interviewed and released after police determined he had a "legitimate reason" for being at the school.