Teen Saves Family in House Fire

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Firefighters believe a La Presa house fire could have been deadly, if not for a teenager who woke up and alerted her family.

    A candle burning inside a closet caused a fire inside a home on Leland Street around 3 a.m. Tuesday.

    Family Saved By Teen Girl

    [DGO] Family Saved By Teen Girl
    A lesson on the importance of home fire detectors could have been deadly if not for a 13-year-old girl.

    Five people including children were inside and San Miguel firefighters and San Diego County sheriff's deputies were able to evacuate everyone safely.

    A 13-year-old girl woke up realizing she needed a book for school, got out of bed to put it in her backpack, and noticed the house was full of smoke Battalion Chief Andy Menshek said.

    Teenager Woke Family, Saved Them from Fire

    [DGO] Teenager Woke Family, Saved Them from Fire
    Firefighters believe a La Presa house fire could have been deadly, if not for a teenager who woke up and alerted her family. Monica Dean reports.

    She was able to alert the family including a mother and baby sleeping in the front bedroom.

    There were no smoke detectors inside the home firefighters said.

    Firefighters say there wasn't a lot of fire -- but enough smoke to be deadly.

    “So this could, with no smoke detectors, and just somebody just accidentally waking up, this could have easily been a multiple fatality
    fire,"Menshek said.

    There were two homes on the property. The front home had five people including children living inside.

    Keep up to date on breaking news: Follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (Standard rates apply)