TV Falls on Toddler, Causes Head Injuries

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The grandmother of a child injured when a television fell from its stand shows NBC 7's Danya Bacchus how the incident happened. (Published Thursday, Sep 20, 2012)

    A San Marcos toddler was airlifted to the hospital Wednesday afternoon when a television fell from a dresser and toppled onto her head, authorities said.

    The 3-year-old girl was at a home in the 500 block of Autumn Drive in San Marcos just before 2 p.m. when the television fell on her, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

    TV Falls on Child

    [DGO] TV Falls on Child
    The grandmother of a child injured when a television fell from its stand shows NBC 7's Danya Bacchus how the incident happened. (Published Thursday, Sep 20, 2012)

    The girl’s grandmother told NBC 7 that the toddler sustained head injuries, but she will be okay.

    The television fell from a small dresser and was found next to the girl.

    “It happened in less than three minutes or so,” the toddler’s grandmother, Graciela Baldez, told NBC 7. “It slashed her face, because the TV is kind of heavy.”

    Baldez said she’s not sure how it happened. Her son had put a DVD in for the girl in the room, trying to get her ready to take a nap. She left the room for a split second and then heard the toddler screaming.

    This isn't the first time an accident like this has happened.

    In June of last year, a 16-month-old girl was killed in Oceanside when a dresser tipped and a large TV fell on top of her.

    In another incident last September, a three-year-old died after an unused television fell off a dresser and hit her on the head while in the garage of her Cardiff-by-the-Sea home.

    Law enforcement officials urge parents and caregivers to use caution with children around an unsecure piece of furniture, television or other heavy objects.

    Rady Children’s Hospital has a couple of tips for guardians to prevent accidents like these from happening, including using an anchor or angle brace to secure furniture to the wall. Parents should also make sure the television stand is sturdy and can handle the weight of the TV, and clear the TV and stand of any items a child might be tempted to try and reach.

    For Baldez, it was a close call but she’s thankful the accident wasn’t worse.

    “She was lucky. God protected her,” she said.
     

    Follow NBC 7 for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts