Eight veterinary employees were hospitalized after Hazmat crews were called to their 24-year emergency pet facility in La Mesa late Saturday night.
Heartland Fire’s Hazmat team spent nearly three hours at the pet specialty center at 5232 Jackson Drive after employees reported a strange smell around 11:20 p.m.
Crews initially believed it was a chemical spill, but after a thorough search, they found no spill, according to Heartland Fire Battalion Chief Bent Koch.
Fewer than ten animals were evacuated during the incident, and eight employees were taken to various hospitals for observation.
Fire officials deemed the facility safe just after 2 a.m. Sunday.