A man was taken into police custody after a pursuit through Southcrest ended in a crash, officials said.
San Diego police officers said when they attempted to pull over a red SUV around 10:30 p.m., the driver refused to yield.
A pursuit began on Interstate 805 and headed south near State Route 94.
The pursuit ended a couple minutes later when the SUV got onto 43rd St because police say it was too dangerous to follow him on city streets.
When the SUV hit a tree and a mailbox behind the Northgate market in the 1400-block of 43rd Street, the driver fled on foot, officials said.
The engine of the SUV was left running.
Officers later found the driver still in the area around 11:20 p.m.
More Stories From NBC 7:
- Baby Found Abandoned in Parked Car
- Realtor Buys Lingerie, Salon Services with Nuns’ Money
- Reunion in Works for Man Abducted as Toddler
- Man Attacks Cab With Didgeridoo
- Cracked Windshield Forces Flight's Unexpected Landing
- Goodwill Offers Little Black Dress Deals