The alleged "Scarface" slashing victim attributes attack to hostilities toward daughter, according to San Diego police.
The City Heights woman said on Monday that she was slashed across her right cheek after she answered a knock on her front door at around 10 p.m. on Monday. Karla Luevano, 33, said a young man wearing dark clothes and a black hoodie whom she didn't recognize yelled, "Scarface!" before cutting her with an unknown object.
While the police are investigating some curious background information, they said they want to assure the public that the attack wasn't the work of some random assailant who saw the 1983 Al Pacino movie "Scarface" shown on television on Monday evening.
Detectives said Tuesday that they were not sure what they're dealing with yet.
For Luevano, who runs a beauty shop out of her home in the 3500 block of Fairmount Avenue, it was the latest episode in a fear and bullying campaign that she said was aimed first at her 15-year-old daughter and then at Luevano's family.
Luevano said teenagers who attend Hoover High School beat up and threatened her daughter last year, then vowed revenge by way of MySpace postings after the beating was reported to authorities. Luevano said that prompter her to file for a restraining order.
"These are crazy people," Luevnano said in an interview Tuesday, sporting a length of white medical tape over a 2-inch-long cut just under her right cheekbone.
"They started posting things about my daughter like, 'I'm going to school and get you,' and a lot of things like, 'I want to stop you; I know where you live; I break the windows and tag [spray-paint graffiti]' and everything."
It's not the first time she's been cut by her daughter's antagonists, according to Luevano.
On April 3, she said, a girl came into her shop, asking to have her hair cut -- then showed her a piece of paper with a crude threat written on it, then slashed Luevano twice across the right forearm with, Luevano thinks, a razor blade. Short, recent scars are still visible on her arm.
"Two days before, they posted on MySpace [that] they'll try to get me," Luevano said Tuesday. "Then after that, they posted, 'Mission complete,' or something like that."
Police are guarded in speaking about their investigation, saying only that the case has been referred to the district attorney's threat assessment team. The family is being counseled in safety measures.
How did the purported terror campaign begin?
"I think," Luevano said, "it's because of boys or something."